Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Baby-led feeding

A day came in the first few weeks of breastfeeding when things clicked for us.  This happened after we discovered that he was fighting against our efforts to manually manipulate his mouth into the right place (see last post).  It occurred to me to look back at what I learned about nursing in the first hour after birth--about the "breast crawl" and ways that baby learns to latch on.

I rested his cheek against my breast like on a pillow, and he would do this kind of sweeping motion of raising and turning his head and opening his mouth very wide.  At that moment I could bring him in and latch him on.  With a little practice we got the timing and aim down, kind of like hitting a baseball, and this method worked almost every time.  I used this method for many weeks until we didn't need to focus so much on the perfect latch (next post: breastfeeding is easy!).

No comments:

Post a Comment