Monday, January 3, 2011

Resolution: Keep going

Most people's new year's resolutions have to do with making some kind of positive change in their lives.  My resolution is to keep things the same--to keep pumping breast milk for my 15 month old son.  But in other ways, it is like other resolutions, there are strong forces fighting against the thing you are trying to do--otherwise you wouldn't need a resolution to do it!  The main force I am dealing with is a constant evaluation of how much Sam needs his milk versus how inconvenient and uncomfortable I am.  I often think how wonderful it would be to slip into bed at night without having to sit up for 20 minutes, or to get that extra sleep in the morning, or to quit washing pump parts day after day.  Comfort and convenience are strong forces!  But I resolve to fight them for awhile longer and keep bottle-feeding breast milk, because Sam still loves and will benefit from breast milk.

1 comment:

  1. I commend you. When most exclusive pumping moms have stopped before age 1, or definitely right at the 12 month mark...and why? Just because they couldn't (or chose not to nurse) why not continue the benefits?

    I'll admit I'm choosing some comfort right now and getting Karter to sleep through the night, and to 'nightwean' him. We both need solid sleep. I'll happilyl nurse for quite a bit longer as long as we start sleeping through the night!

    The hardest thing, I think, about being a parent is doing what you feel is best for your child, yourself, your family, and being judged or feeling alone or misunderstood. It's not easy, but then I remember who I'm doing it for and why.

    ReplyDelete