Friday, October 1, 2010

The problem with guidelines

"The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that breastfeeding continue for at least 12 months, and thereafter for as long as mother and baby desire. The World Health Organization recommends continued breastfeeding up to 2 years of age or beyond." -cdc.gov


And here we are, at 12 months.   Some people may be wondering when I'm going to quit exclusively pumping milk.  I think, first, that would be mixing up the maximum and minimum from the above statement.  Second, guidelines are based on the average baby.  (Mine is definitely not average, and neither is yours I am sure!)  Finally--it's gotten to be such a part of the routine that another few months won't hurt.


Like I did before starting solids, I am watching for signs that Sam is ready for something new.  When I see things like eating solid food as if he's actually hungry and not just playing, tasting, and practicing.  When he starts drinking out of a cup without choking.  When he says "no thanks" to the bottle a little more often. I'm not seeing any of this yet, so he'll keep getting breast milk for now.

1 comment:

  1. It's sad that some moms actually think they're supposed to stop right at 12 months. It doesn't help when peds start telling moms to give cow milk at the one year check up. That usually ends up replacing the nursing. Finally, my ped told me "WHEN you wean you can add in cow milk." (which we prob won't because we're still seeing sensitivities in all of us) but finally I felt like they were "getting it". Mom's milk is perfect balance, made for babies, and changes throughout the days, weeks, months and even years the baby nurses. It's always perfect. Karter's recently way more into food and asking/signing to eat, but somedays there is more food, somedays there is more nursing. I like that I don't have to feel that I need to nurse him every 3 hours still, but when he wants to, whenever that maybe, or that in a pinch I can give him a cracker to hold him off til we get home, etc. And then again, every child is different, he still wakes at night to nurse, but Kian barely nursed at this age--probably because I was working full-time, which makes me guilty and sad. So good for you continuing to pump and give him what he wants and needs! Here's to normalcy!

    ReplyDelete